Thursday, July 06, 2017

Chapter 14: Why I'm Not Where You Are 9/11/03

What did you make of the way this chapter was started?
What is different about this door knob?
Why does Oskar's grandmother allow Thomas back into her life?
The code using telephone pad numbers may have thrown you. Here is a comment I found on the internet concerning this code:

“On behalf of my English classes, I wrote to Mr. Foer’s agent several years ago, asking about the number code in ELIC. He was kind enough to respond personally; regretting the time my students had spent decoding, and admitting that the numbers can’t be deciphered. He did say that in a way, this is consistent with the theme of people trying to communicate and failing, but the numbers themselves are more or less random, with a few exceptions. I hope this helps.”

If you do a search for this decoding, you will find that many have tried and have only been able to decode bits and pieces. I think the explanation above will suffice, so don't kill yourself trying to decode it. If, however, you do find a way to decode it, by all means share what you decoded.
What do you find interesting/confusing/disturbing about Oskar's grandmother's behavior towards "the renter"?

4 comments:

Sophie Dettling said...

The numbers in this chapter really confused me. I was thinking that it was Morse code or something, but I guess the randomness is consistent with the randomness of Thomas's communication and relationship with his wife. I was utterly disturbed by how Oskar's grandmother behaved around Thomas. It was so sad that she could not let go of the past. She wanted to relive that first encounter of Thomas sculpting her. It was also sad to realize that after all of these years Thomas still could not see his wife, only her resemblance to Anna. It was also confusing to read the conversations between the couple about Oskar. If Oskar's grandmother did not want Thomas to meet Oskar why did she let him hide in the closet? And why later on did she not mind that they had met? I also liked Thomas's quote that he wished he could take the closet with him. Did he want to actually get to know Oskar or simply compare him to the son he left?

Anonymous said...

Part of me wanted to decode it but in general numbers give me a headache so I just let it be. I was thinking,though, if I were to decode it, it would have taken an awfully long time because there are about three letters under a number on a phone and that's a lot of combinations of those letters to go through. I was frustrated with Thomas when he kept trying to communicate that way when he could've just gone to the apartment. I was also frustrated with Oskar's grandmother for the way she initially treated Thomas. He was doing his best but he did decide to come back at a rough time. I think she realized that she needed him. With everything going on, how her life suddenly drastically changed, again, that it would be nice to have someone, even just the feeling of him there.

Anonymous said...

Yeah I though of decoding the numbers but I'm sadly to lazy and easy confused to accomplish this. I honestly felt on ton of sympathy for both Oskar's grandparents. I can see how Oskar's grandfather hurt her and her son by leaving them, but can also see how he's really trying to do the right thing and make things right with his ex-wife. At the same time I can see how Oskar's grandmother is acting wrongly in being unable to forget the past while I can also see how she would be angry with him leaving her to raise a kid on her own which can't be easy. I honesty don't see however why it's so wrong for them to be together, sure they don't necessarily love each other, bu they complete each other in a way. I just feel from my personal view that if two people have a bond that can make them happy then they should do it even if that relationship requires a little dishonesty.

Anonymous said...

The numbers are shown in the chapter I think are somewhat random, and you can form bits and pieces from the given info, yet shows that Thomas's method of communication is just one epic failure. There is one quote I want to focus on and it is "I wanted to carry the closet door with me so I could always look at him through the keyhole". Thomas did, in a sense, carry the closet door with him up to this chapter. Thomas constantly crept around Oskar, documenting his moves as a Tiger stalking its prey. He noticed times where Oskar was vulnerable and even called out Oskar's mom for letting him go alone. Sometimes he lost sight of Oskar, just like you would creeping on someone through a peep hole, and when Thomas was caught he was treated like a pedophile creeping on someone through a keyhole. In total, Thomas mentally carried the closet door with him, as can be seen on the way he observed Oskar.